Maharashtra Govt Appoints Committee to Calculate Unpaid Crop Loans
Maharashtra government has appointed a committee to calculate the exact amount of crop loans of banks which haven't been repaid, and the number of indebted farmers.
File photo of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has appointed a committee to calculate the exact amount of crop loans of banks which haven't been repaid, and the number of indebted farmers.
The committee was set up following Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis's assurance to come out with a crop loan waiver scheme by October 31 amid farmers' agitation in the state.
An official in the cooperative department said that according to preliminary estimate, 30 district central cooperative banks alone have outstanding crop loans of Rs 15,989 crore from 89.75 lakh farmers.
The loan waiver scheme may cover the loans taken in the last three years, after the BJP-led government came to power, the official said.
The committee will be headed by Chandrakant Dalvi, Pune divisional commissioner, said a government resolution.
Minister of State for Agriculture Sadabhau Khot said the committee will also study loan waivers in Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
The committee has to submit its report by October.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Akshay Kumar's Mission Mangal Inches Closer to 100 Cr, John Abraham's Batla House Paces Up at BO
- Are Your Cable TV And DTH Subscriptions Set to Become More Affordable?
- How Dare Someone Constantly Make Us Soft Targets: Karan Johar Reacts Angrily to Drug Party Claims
- Maruti Suzuki's Decision to Discontinue Diesel Cars in India Doesn't Make Sense – Opinion
- Weekly Tech Recap: Realme 5 Series Launch, Reliance Jio Fiber, PUBG Mobile 0.14.0 Update and More