Maharashtra Woman Arrested for Fixing 9-year-old Daughter's Marriage for Rs 30,000
Police raided Fulenagar area, where the marriage was supposed to take place, after some local residents tipped them off, and arrested six people.
Image for representation.
Aurangabad: A woman has been arrested along with five others for allegedly fixing her 9-year-old daughter's wedding to a 20-year-old man in exchange for Rs 30,000 in Maharashtra's Aurangabad district, police said on Tuesday.
The incident happened in Majalgaon in the district, an official said.
"Ashamati Golap offered her minor daughter in marriage to Santosh Yadav, son of her friend Urmila Yadav in return for Rs 30,000. They had fixed the marriage for Sunday," he said.
Police raided Fulenagar area, where the marriage was supposed to take place, after some local residents tipped them off, and arrested six people, the official said.
He identified the accused as Urmila Dinkar Yadav, Ashamati Dilip Gholap, Santosh Barikrav Yadav, Mangalabai Rameshwar Shinde, Ajimoddin Gani Shaikh and Zafar Ismail Sayyed.
"A case under Prohibition of Child Marriage Act was registered on Monday," said Inspector Syed Suleman.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Alia Bhatt is So Successful as She Didn't Inherit a Genetic Flaw from Our Father, Says Pooja Bhatt
- Bigg Boss 13: Sidharth Shukla Down With Typhoid, Undergoing Treatment
- Counterfeit Xiaomi Products Worth Rs 13 Lakhs Seized From Delhi's Gaffar Market
- YouTube Rewind 2019 Seems to Have Outdone Itself in Being Bad, 'Lazy, and Low Budget'
- Uber Apologises for Viral Photo of Separate Bathrooms for Employees and Drivers in US Office