Mamata Banerjee Writes to PM Narendra Modi Voicing Concern Over 'Steady Reduction' of Central Funds
In her letter, Mamata Banerjee asserted that despite that the state's GSDP grew by 10.4 per cent against the national GDP growth of 5 per cent in 2019-20.
File photo of West Bengal CM and Trinamool Congress Supremo Mamata Banerjee. (PTI)
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday wrote a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, expressing concern over "steady reduction" of central funds to the state and "inordinate delay" in their release.
In her letter, Banerjee asserted that despite that the state's GSDP grew by 10.4 per cent against the national GDP growth of 5 per cent in 2019-20. "I write to you with deep concern regarding steady reduction of central funds to the state and also inordinate delay in release of funds to us from the Government of India," Banerjee said in the letter.
She said the state is yet to receive its share of central funds totalling Rs 50,000 crore till January, 2020. This "extradordinary situation" is creating major difficulties in meeting obligations for the welfare of the state, she said.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- These 11 Memes Prove Why Masakali 2.0 Won't be Internet's Favourite WFH Anthem
- Tiger Shroff Shows Off His Chiseled Frame in This Throwback Image, Take a Look
- 'Gaming Disorder': This is How Avid Gamers will Look Like in Next 20 Years and It's Terrifying
- Zomato App is Turning Delivery Persons into Superheroes with Capes amid COVID-19 Crisis
- WATCH: Indigo Pilot Makes Heartfelt Video for Aviation Industry Struggling Due to COVID-19 Lockdown