Man Arrested at Delhi Airport for Smuggling Gold by Concealing It Inside Wheels of Trolley Bags
A search of his baggage resulted in the recovery of 12 pieces of gold, concealed inside the wheels of the trolley bags, weighing 420 grams.
File photo of Delhi's IGI airport.
New Delhi: A man has been arrested for smuggling gold by concealing it inside the wheels of three trolley bags carried by him at the Delhi international airport, the customs department on Tuesday said.
The accused was intercepted after his arrival from Bangkok on Friday.
A search of his baggage resulted in the recovery of 12 pieces of gold, concealed inside the wheels of the trolley bags, weighing 420 grams, the department said in a statement.
The gold valued at Rs 14.57 lakh was seized and the passenger was arrested, it said.
"Further, the passenger admitted smuggling of gold of value Rs 87.45 lakh in his previous visits in the same manner. Thus the total value of the offending goods amount to Rs 1.02 crore," it added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Sara Ali Khan's Fitness Regime Shows How She Gets Ready for a Guilt-Free Vacation
- Does Lionel Messi Really Have This Popular Comedian’s Face Tattooed on His Back?
- Pet Dog in Odisha Fights Cobra Before Killing it, Saves Family of Six
- Instagram Stalking App Like Patrol Thrown Out by Apple; You Can All Relax Now
- Emotions Got the Better of Me: Raheem Sterling Admits after Being Dropped by England