Man Arrested for Raping, Marrying 17-year-old Niece in Maharashtra
The accused, identified as Ajay Singh, had held his 17-year-old niece captive at his home in Maharashtra's Virar area.
Palghar: A 36-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly raping and marrying a minor relative in Palghar district of Maharashtra, police said on Wednesday.
The accused, identified as Ajay Singh, held his 17-year-old niece captive at his home in Virar area, Palghar police spokesperson Hemant Kumar Katkar said.
He allegedly married her forcibly and raped her repeatedly between November 2017 and December last year, the official said.
The accused also beat up the girl when she resisted his moves and prevented her from meeting her parents, he said.
Unable to bear the torture, the girl managed to escape from his house sometime back and approached the police.
Based on her complaint, Singh was arrested on Wednesday and booked him under Indian Penal Code sections for rape, abduction to compel for marriage, voluntarily causing hurt and criminal intimidation, and under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO), he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Motorola TV With Android TV 9.0 Launched: Price, Features, and More
- OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro Specifications Leak Claims to Reveal All New Features
- Post #MeToo, 19% Men Don't Want to Hire 'Attractive' Women, Reveals Survey
- Mark The Calendar, Here is When Your iPhone, Watch, iPad and MacBook Get Updated
- 'Caught in the Moment': Virat Kohli Credits Contemplative Pic to Wife Anushka Sharma