Man Asks 11-Year-Old for Water in Bengal, Gets Thrashed on Suspicion of Being a Child Lifter
The villagers alleged the man, who was driving a taxi, tried to force an 11-year-old girl into his vehicle when she was playing in a field.
Bolpur (West Bengal): A middle-aged man was severely beaten up by villagers in Bolpur town on Monday on suspicions of being a child lifter, police said.
The villagers alleged the man, who was driving a taxi, tried to force an 11-year-old girl into his vehicle when she was playing in a field at Rajatpur, in the outskirts of Bolpur town.
As the girl raised an alarm, the villagers began chasing him. The man tried to speed away in his taxi but eventually had to stop at a traffic jam when they caught hold of him, the villagers said. They took him to the village and beat him up severely before handing him over to the police.
The man told the police that he had merely asked the girl for some water to drink.
A senior police officer said the man has been detained and will be interrogated.
Several people have been lynched or injured recently in Maharashtra, Assam and Tripura on suspicion of being child lifters.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Here's How Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas Decided to 'Chill' After a Concert Night
- Of Fruits and Females: Why Turkish Preacher Comparing Women to 'Peeled Apples' isn't Surprising
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Plans Start at Rs 222 Which Includes Bundled Non-Jio Calls
- OnePlus TV 55Q1 Pro Review: Mildly Eccentric But You’ll Love a Great QLED Display
- OnePlus TVs Will Get The Netflix App Soon, But We Don’t Know Exactly When