Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » India
2-min read

Man Dies After Being Sucked Into MRI Machine at Mumbai Hospital; Doctor and Ward Boy Arrested

Rajesh Maru’s family alleged that a ward boy allowed him to enter the MRI room with a metal oxygen cylinder in hand.

News18.com

Updated:January 28, 2018, 4:57 PM IST
facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp
Man Dies After Being Sucked Into MRI Machine at Mumbai Hospital; Doctor and Ward Boy Arrested
Rajesh Maru had accompanied an elderly relative to the MRI room at BYL Nair Hospital (TV grab)
Loading...

Mumbai: A 32-year-old man was killed in a freak accident after being pulled into an MRI machine at a Mumbai hospital whose staff allegedly allowed him to enter the room with a metal oxygen cylinder.

According to reports, Rajesh Maru had accompanied an elderly relative to the MRI room at BYL Nair Hospital. His relatives said a ward boy standing outside the room told him it was okay to carry the oxygen cylinder, which was helping the patient breathe, inside.

As soon as he entered the room, the MRI machine’s powerful magnetic pull sucked in Maru, who was still holding the cylinder. Maru’s hand was wedged between the MRI machine and the cylinder, with the magnetic field making it impossible to pull away.

A doctor and ward boy at the hospital have now been arrested.

When the patient accompanying Maru cried for help, few ward boys rushed in and managed to pull him out. A bleeding Maru was rushed to the emergency ward, but succumbed to his injuries within minutes.

“He went there to visit my ailing mother, but we did not know he would meet such a fate. We all are in shock. A ward boy told him to carry an oxygen cylinder with him to MRI room which is prohibited. It all happened because of the carelessness of hospital's doctors and administration,” Maru’s brother-in-law Harish Solanki told news agency ANI.

An FIR under Section 304 of the Indian Penal Code was registered at the Agripada police station, while Maru’s body was kept for post-mortem at JJ Hospital.

The hospital has denied wrongdoing and claimed that Maru was instructed against carrying the cylinder inside. It, however, suspended the concerned doctor, a ward boy and a sweeper.

“He was accompanying a patient. He took the patient to the MRI room where metal is not allowed. He took the oxygen cylinder. The magnetic force was heavy so he got pulled in. There are boards and signs put up that say you cannot carry metal inside. Instructions are given. We are conducting an inquiry. If anyone is found to be at fault, action will be taken. It seems like an accident. All instructions were given,” hospital dean Dr Ramesh Bharmal told CNN-News18.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh for the family.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

| Edited by: Nitya Thirumalai
Read full article
Loading...
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch

facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results