Mild Earthquake of Magnitude 4.5 Jolts Meghalaya
A mild earthquake, measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale, rocked Meghalaya and its neighbouring states on Sunday, an official said.
Image only for representational purpose
Shillong: A mild earthquake, measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale, rocked Meghalaya and its neighbouring states on Sunday, an official said.
The tremor was felt at 9.35 a.m with its epicentre located in the state's East Garo Hills district, an official of the Regional Seismological Centre said.
There were no reports of any casualties or damage.
The seven northeastern states - Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur - are considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake-prone belt in the world.
The region experienced an earthquake measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale in 1897, that left over 1,600 people dead.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Is Facebook Ready For TV Battles With Netflix, Apple TV+ and Amazon Video?
- Salman Khan Promises 'Mad Manoranjan' with Bigg Boss 13 Promo, Announces Launch Date
- A Pakistani Pop-Singer is Facing Legal Action for Threatening PM Modi with Snakes
- Madhuri Dixit's Brush with Rappers Wiz Khalifa, Raja Kumari at Mumbai Concert
- Renault Kwid Electric Launched In China at Rs 6.22 Lakh, Gets 271Km Electric Range