Mild Earthquake of Magnitude 4.5 Jolts Meghalaya
A mild earthquake, measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale, rocked Meghalaya and its neighbouring states on Sunday, an official said.
(Image only for representational purpose)
Shillong: A mild earthquake, measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale, rocked Meghalaya and its neighbouring states on Sunday, an official said.
The tremor was felt at 9.35 a.m with its epicentre located in the state's East Garo Hills district, an official of the Regional Seismological Centre said.
There were no reports of any casualties or damage.
The seven northeastern states - Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur - are considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake-prone belt in the world.
The region experienced an earthquake measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale in 1897, that left over 1,600 people dead.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2019 | Bumrah Recovering Well, to be Assessed Again on Monday: MI
- It's Surreal Feeling People of All Ages Accepted My Work, Says Gajraj Rao
- Trailers This Week: Avengers Endgame Drops New Hints, Vivek Oberoi Traverses PM Narendra Modi's Life
- Weekly Tech Recap: New Apple iPads, Hotstar VIP, Redmi Go Launch And More
- PUBG Mobile Ban: India Could Get Six Hour Play Time Restriction to Curb Addiction
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s