Militant Dies in Gunfight With Security Forces in J&K's Sopore
Following the incident, the authorities have shut down all government and private educational institutions as a precautionary measure.
Army officials patrolling the streets in Kashmir (Image: PTI)
Srinagar: A militant has been killed in an overnight gunfight with security forces in Sopore area of Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla district, a police official said Wednesday.
The exchange of fire began during a search operation launched by security forces Tuesday evening after they received information that militants were present there, the official said. He said the cordon was strengthened to prevent the militants from escaping.
"In the ensuing gunfight, an unidentified militant was killed. The body has been recovered while his identity and group affiliation is being ascertained".
"People are advised to cooperate and not to go close to the encounter site unless all explosive material is cleared," he added.
Following the incident, the authorities have shut down all government and private educational institutions as a precautionary measure. Mobile internet services have also been suspended.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Malaika Arora Shows How to Stretch in Her Monday Motivation Pics, See Here
- Reliance Jio Says India’s Monthly Data Usage is More Than 9GB Per Subscriber
- Bigg Boss 13: Salman Khan Announces Sidharth Shukla to be Rashami Desai's Slave, She Refuses
- 15-year-old Coco Gauff Beat Jelena Ostapenko to Win First WTA Title at Linz
- Video of Pune Electric Bus Getting Charged Through a Diesel Generator Surfaces, Twitter Has a Field Day