Militant Dies in Gunfight With Security Forces in J&K's Sopore
Following the incident, the authorities have shut down all government and private educational institutions as a precautionary measure.
Army officials patrolling the streets in Kashmir (Image: PTI)
Srinagar: A militant has been killed in an overnight gunfight with security forces in Sopore area of Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla district, a police official said Wednesday.
The exchange of fire began during a search operation launched by security forces Tuesday evening after they received information that militants were present there, the official said. He said the cordon was strengthened to prevent the militants from escaping.
"In the ensuing gunfight, an unidentified militant was killed. The body has been recovered while his identity and group affiliation is being ascertained".
"People are advised to cooperate and not to go close to the encounter site unless all explosive material is cleared," he added.
Following the incident, the authorities have shut down all government and private educational institutions as a precautionary measure. Mobile internet services have also been suspended.
Recommended For You
- Pakistan's Eerily Similar Results to 1992 World Cup Win Has Fans Praying For Another Miracle
- International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: Date, Theme and Significance
- In Avengers Endgame, the Soul World Scene Could Have Been a Better Closure for Iron Man
- Two-Wheeler Industry Needs More Time to Stabilise After BS-VI Before Moving to Electric: Honda
- Cannot Wait for Dark Mode on WhatsApp? Here is How to Enable it on Android and iOS
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s