Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.


Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence


Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » India
1-min read

Numbers Not in Favour of Modi Govt 2.0 in 2019, Mirror Those of UPA Before 2014: Survey

The survey said the anti-Modi government sentiments were found to be especially strong among the country’s religious minorities.


Updated:May 24, 2018, 8:03 PM IST
Numbers Not in Favour of Modi Govt 2.0 in 2019, Mirror Those of UPA Before 2014: Survey
File photo of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah. (PTI)

New Delhi: There are more people in the country today who believe that Narendra Modi-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government does not merit another opportunity to govern India after the 2019 Lok Sabha election than those who think it deserves a second innings, an ABP News-CSDS Mood of the Nation survey has found.

According to the survey, almost 47% of the total 15,859 respondents from 19 states are of the opinion that the Modi government does not deserve another chance in 2019. Around 39% thought it did deserve a second innings in power, with the rest being non-committal.

These numbers, the surveyors said, are similar to those recorded for the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) in July 2013, nine months before the 2014 general elections. Back then 39% had been against giving the UPA another chance, 31% had been in favor and 30% had been noncommittal. When the results were out, the UPA was routed as the alliance managed to win only 60 seats.

The survey also found out that the anti-Modi government sentiments were found to be especially strong among the country’s religious minorities.

“About three-fourths of Muslims, three-fifths of Christians and well over half the Sikhs indicated that they do not wish to see the Modi government coming back to power next year,” the survey found out.

While the Muslim disapproval of the Modi government isn’t a largely contested narrative in the public, the survey, rather unexpectedly, also found a sizeable section of voters from the majority Hindu community also carrying an anti-government sentiment.

According to the survey, the Hindu votes are nearly split down the middle on the question on whether the Modi regime should be given another chance with 44% exhibiting a pro-government stand and 42% taking an anti-government position.

“Out of all Hindu communities, Dalits and Adivasis, who have also been victims of violence and atrocities, were found to be most vociferous in their opposition to the government at 55% and 43% respectively. Dominant OBC communities are also quite opposed (42%) to the present government,” the survey found.

According to the survey, 32% of the voter have said they would vote for the BJP in the event of a snap Lok Sabha election. At the start of the year, the same survey had found out that 34% of the voters would do so. This two percent drop in a five-month period, is another indicator a declining trend that Modi government is becoming less and less popular among the voters.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

| Edited by: Aakarshuk Sarna
Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch


Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results