LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
»
1-min read

Mumbai Hospital Fire: Another Man Succumbs to Injuries, Death Toll Reaches 10

According to assistant nursing director of Holy Spirit Hospital, Dattu Kisan Naravade died the morning. The number of injured are now 172, including three firemen.

News18.com

Updated:December 20, 2018, 9:45 AM IST
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp
Mumbai Hospital Fire: Another Man Succumbs to Injuries, Death Toll Reaches 10
Fire breaks out in Govt hospital in Mumbai (File photo)
Loading...
Mumbai: The death toll in the blaze in a government hospital here rose to ten on Thursday, with a 65-year-old man succumbing to injuries.

According to assistant nursing director of Holy Spirit Hospital, Dattu Kisan Naravade died the morning. The number of injured are now 172, including three firemen. They are being treated in different hospitals across the city, an official said.

The 325-bed ESIC (Employees State Insurance Scheme) Kamgar Hospital at Marol in suburban Andheri was constructed in 1970s. Police and hospital authorities have vacated the building, he added.

Nearly 375 people, including patients and visitors, were in the five-floor hospital during visiting hours when fire and smoke were reported on its fourth floor around 4.03 pm on Monday, according to a fire brigade official.

"The fire was extinguished at 7.35 pm, and hospital authorities shut down the facility till further notice," he said. "Most of the deceased, including the six-month-old child, died due to suffocation," he said.

Several women who recently delivered babies managed to save their newborns by rushing out of the building while wrapping the children in their arms, he said.

The building's glass facade posed a hindrance as it blocked air passage and firemen had to break the glasses on all the floors to evacuate those stranded inside, he said.

While recently reviewing the fire compliance norms for the new building, a team of fire officials noticed some lacunae in the old hospital building. "So we refused to issue the full and final fire NOC to the old building also," he added.

Hospital medical superintendent Dr Rakesh Sharma said everything happened suddenly. A hospital staffer received injuries on his arm when he jumped out of the building to save his life.

A fire official said the blaze appeared to have erupted after a short-circuit near the rubber rolls stored on the ground floor. "The rubber rolls are combustible material and they might have caught fire after the short-circuit on the ground floor. The smoke then spread on the upper floors through an open fire duct," he said. The exact cause would be known after an inquiry into the incident, he said.

Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!

*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
| Edited by: Sumedha Kirti
Read full article
Loading...
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch

facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp

Live TV

Loading...
Countdown To Elections Results
  • 01 d
  • 12 h
  • 38 m
  • 09 s
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results