National Herald Publisher Has to Vacate Delhi Office in Two Weeks After HC Rejects Relief Plea
The court said Associated Journals Ltd, publisher of National Herald, will have to vacate the premises at ITO within two weeks.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi goes through the pages of National Herald newspaper during the launch of its commemorative edition in Bengaluru on December 6, 2017. (PTI)
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday dismissed the plea by Associated Journals Ltd (AJL), publisher of National Herald, challenging the Centre's order to vacate the premises in the national capital.
Justice Sunil Gaur said AJL will have to vacate the premises at ITO here within two weeks after which proceedings under the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants) Act, 1971 would be initiated.
The court passed the order on AJL's plea challenging the Centre's October 30 order ending its 56-year-old lease.
In the order, the Centre and Land and Development Office (L&DO) has said that no press has been functioning in the premises for at least past 10 years and it was being used only for commercial purposes in violation of the lease deed.
AJL had opposed the Centre's stand, saying that publication of web editions began in 2016 and the issue of absence of printing press in the premises was not raised then.
It had said the government kept silent till April 2018 when it again sent a notice for inspection and in which it had said that it was coming to check breaches mentioned in notice of October 10, 2016.
AJL had also argued that several major papers carry out printing elsewhere.
The Centre had, during arguments, contended that transfer of 98 per cent stake in AJL to Young Indian (YI) when the latter bought the former's Rs 90 crore debt for a consideration of Rs 50 lakh, led to a "virtual" sale of the Herald building.
In its petition, the AJL has alleged that the proceedings by the ministry were being initiated for the purposes of "scuttling the voices of dissent" and the voice of the largest opposition party in the country, a reference to the Congress.
Without naming the BJP, the AJL had further alleged that the order issued under pressure and directives from the ruling party at the Centre is vitiated by mala fide, bias and had "oblique political motives".
The L&DO, which comes under the ministry, had ended the lease — entered into with AJL on August 2, 1962 and made perpetual on January 10, 1967 —asking the company to hand over the possession by November 15.
In its plea, AJL has also said that the digital versions of English newspaper National Herald, Hindi's Navjivan and Urdu's Qaumi Awaz have commenced since 2016-17.
The weekly newspaper 'National Herald on Sunday' resumed on September 24 last year and the place of publication was the ITO premises, AJL had said, adding that the Hindi weekly newspaper Sunday Navjivan was also being published since October this year from the same premises.
(with PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Hrithik Roshan's Cousin Says Sunaina is 'Vulnerable,' Asks People to 'Not Act as Vultures'
- US Man Suspected of Feeding Meth to Keep Illegally Kept ‘Attack Squirrel’ Aggressive
- Kota Girl Does The Impossible, Cracks All Major Competitive Exams in India
- CBFC Gives 'A' Rating to Shahid Kapoor's Kabir Singh, Asks to Modify Drug Snorting Scene
- KTM RC 125 ABS launched at Rs 1.47 Lakh in India
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s