New Citizenship Law Against Constitution as it is Based on Religion, Says Yogendra Yadav
Yogendra Yadav also said the new law is against every citizen of this country because it is against the social fabric of India.
File image of Swaraj India founder Yogendra Yadav.
New Delhi: Swaraj Abhiyan chief Yogendra Yadav on Monday said the new citizenship law is based on religion which is against the Constitution.
He was part of a discussion on the amended Citizenship Act and the NRC at the Faculty of Law in Delhi University.
Yadav said earlier also there was a law for citizenship in India and it was not based on religion.
The present law, the Citizenship Amendment Act, is based on religion that is why it is against the Constitution, he said.
"The new law is against every citizen of this country because it is against the social fabric of India," Yadav said.
At the discussion, the students demanded that the law be taken back.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Kya Be G***u': Martin Guptill Abusing Chahal on Live Television Leaves Rohit Sharma and Fans in Splits
- Jackie Shroff Has Won the 'LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Tinder' Meme. Y'all Can Go Home
- Kobe Bryant, Daughter Killed in Copter Crash, Akshay Kumar, Disha Patani and Others Share Condolences
- WhatsApp Users Beware: This Simple Trick Can Save Your Phone From Being Hacked
- OnePlus 6, OnePlus 6T Get OxygenOS 10.3.1 Update With Bug Fixes, December Security Patch