NIA to Take over UAPA Cases Against 2 Kerala Students Held for Distributing Pro-Maoist Pamphlets
The Kerala High Court on November 27 had dismissed the bail plea of two student activists of ruling CPI(M)--Thwaha Fazal (24) and Alan Suhaib (20)-- who were arrested under the UAPA.
Image for representation.
Kochi The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has decided to take over UAPA cases against two students who were arrested by the Kerala police recently from Kozhikode for allegedly distributing pro-Maoist pamphlets, official sources said here on Thursday.
"We have re-registered the case yesterday (on Wednesday) and will take over the investigation in coming days," a NIA official told PTI.
The Kerala High Court on November 27 had dismissed the bail plea of two student activists of ruling CPI(M)--Thwaha Fazal (24) and Alan Suhaib (20)-- who were arrested under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).
The court had admitted the evidences submitted by the police to prove the arrested students had Maoist links and denied them bail.
Fazal and Alan, students of journalism and law respectively and the CPI(M)'s branch committee members, were arrested on November 2 from Kozhikode, leading to widespread criticism in the Left-ruled state.
The two are in judicial custody.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Khatron Ke Khiladi 10 Promo Out, Rohit Shetty Welcomes Contestants To His ‘Darr Ki University’
- Cat Fight: UK Couple Wins Rs 18 Lakh Court Case to Stop Neighbour from Feeding Pet Feline
- Reliance Jio Q3 2019-20 Results: Subscriber Base Jumps to 370 Million as of December 31, 2019
- FASTags Have Actually Increased Waiting Times at Toll Plazas; Be Prepared For Delays
- Apple Acquires Xnor.ai, an Edge-based AI Startup, for $200 Million