Nirbhaya Case: SC Junks Convict Vinay Sharma's Plea Against Rejection of Mercy Petition by President
A bench comprising Justices R Banumathi, Ashok Bhushan and A S Bopanna said no ground of judicial review of rejection of mercy petition is made out by Sharma.
The four convicts in the Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case. (Image: Network18)
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed Nirbhaya gang rape and murder case convict Vinay Sharma's plea which challenged the rejection of his mercy petition by the President. Sharma had alleged that the rejection was done in a "mala fide" manner.
A bench comprising Justices R Banumathi, Ashok Bhushan and A S Bopanna said no ground of judicial review of rejection of mercy petition is made out by Sharma, who is one of the four death row convicts in the 2012 case.
All material -- including Sharma's medical report -- was placed before the President, who applied his mind in rejection of mercy plea, the apex court said.
The top court rejected the contention of Sharma that he is mentally ill and said his medical report suggests he is stable.
The trial court had on January 31 stayed "till further orders" execution of the four convicts in the case -- Mukesh Kumar Singh (32), Pawan Gupta,25, Vinay Kumar Sharma,26, and Akshay Kumar,31, who are lodged in Tihar Jail.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bengaluru 'Bottle Artist' Captures Trump and Modi in Glass Jars to Welcome POTUS to India
- On Sridevi's 2nd Death Anniversary, Janhvi Kapoor Shares Throwback Pic with an Emotional Note
- Arti Singh Wishes Happy Birthday to Her 'Jigar Ka Tukda' Karan Singh Grover on Instagram
- Poco X2 Will Get The Android 11 Update; You Have Something to Look Forward to
- Sudarsan Pattnaik Welcomes Donald Trump, First Lady Melania to India With Sand Art