No Bail to ISIS Twitter Handle Operator, Says Supreme Court
The Supreme Court on Monday junked the bail plea of a Bengaluru based MNC employee who operated pro-ISIS Twitter handle.
File image of Supreme Court. (Photo: Reuters)
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday junked the bail plea of a Bengaluru based MNC employee who operated pro-ISIS Twitter handle. Mehdi Masroor Biswas was operating the ISIS Twitter handle, which the apex court observed was a serious offence and did not merit a bail.
The court has also asked the trial court in Bengaluru to finish the trial in six months. Biswas was arrested from Bengaluru in December 2014. He operated Shami Witness Twitter handle, which had close to 18000 followers. Biswas allegedly provoked and inspired English-speaking youngsters by translating and re-tweeting ISIS propaganda from Arabic.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Maruti Suzuki XL6 to Launch Today, Watch it Live Here [Video]
- Meet Dipesh, 18-Year-Old Dancer from Bengal Who's Trying to Put India on World Ballet Map
- Facebook Clear History Tool Lets You Control Data Shared With Apps And Websites
- New Zealand Cricketers Satterthwaite & Tahuhu Announce Pregnancy
- Xiaomi Redmi K20 Review: Is There Nothing Missing in This Brilliant Android Phone?