No Proposal Under Consideration for Waiver of Education Loans, Says Govt
In the last three years from 2016-17 to March 2019, the amount of outstanding education loans rose from Rs 67,685.59 crore to Rs 75,450.68 crore in September 2019.
Image for representation. (Getty Images)
New Delhi: The government on Monday said there is no proposal under consideration for waiver of education loans.
In the last three years from 2016-17 to March 2019, the amount of outstanding education loans rose from Rs 67,685.59 crore to Rs 75,450.68 crore in September 2019, as per data provided by public sector banks.
More than 90 per cent of these accounts are standard as on March 31 this year, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman told the Lok Sabha.
The minister also said that as reported by public sector banks, no case of suicide by students due to unbearable pressure from banks to repay education loans has been reported.
In a written reply, she said banks have been sensitised to adopt a non-coercive strategy for recovery of education loans.
"Further, there is no proposal under consideration for waiver of education loans," she noted.
According to her, data linking education loans sanctioned by banks with securing of jobs is not centrally maintained.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Saif Ali Khan Opens up on Divorce with Amrita Singh and Its Impact on Sara, Ibrahim
- ISRO's VyomMitra Humanoid Robot Set For an Unmanned Trip Into Space: Watch Video
- Rishi Kapoor Puzzles People with This Veteran Actor's Throwback Pic
- Got Your Windows 10 For Free? German Govt Didn’t, And Will Cost Them $887,000
- WhatsApp Users, Dark Mode is Finally Rolling Out With Beta For Android: Here is How to Use it