News18» News»India»No Stop to Maharashtra's Rising Covid-19 Cases, Now Breaches 15,000-mark in 24 Hrs
2-MIN READ

No Stop to Maharashtra's Rising Covid-19 Cases, Now Breaches 15,000-mark in 24 Hrs

A healthcare worker in personal protective equipment (PPE) collects a swab sample from a woman during a testing campaign for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Navi Mumbai

A healthcare worker in personal protective equipment (PPE) collects a swab sample from a woman during a testing campaign for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Navi Mumbai

As many as 90 per cent patients in Mumbai, who tested positive for COVID-19 in January and February this year, were residents of high-rise buildings, while the remaining 10 per cent were from slums and chawls, the city civic body has said.

Maharashtra recorded this year’s highest one-day spike on the third day in a row on Friday with 15,817 new infections coming to light, a health official said. The caseload in the state rose to 22,82,191, while the death toll reached 52,723 with 56 new fatalities.

The state had earlier reported more than 15,000 cases on October 2 last year, after which new cases had declined. But a fresh surge in cases began last month and the state recorded 13,659 and 14,317 cases on Wednesday and Thursday.

As many as 11,344 patients were discharged from hospitals on Friday, taking the total of recoveries to 21,17,744. There are 1,10,485 active cases.

Pune city recorded the highest 1,845 new cases, followed by 1,729 in Nagpur and 1,647 in Mumbai. Pune division comprising civic bodies of Pune, Pimpri Chinchwad as well as districts of Pune, Solapur and Satara reported total of 3,580 cases, highest among the divisions.

RELATED NEWS

The number of cases in the Pune division so far stood at 5,53,064 and death toll at 11,832. Mumbai’s COVID-19 tally increased to 3,40,290 and four deaths took the fatality count to 11,523.

The wider Mumbai division reported 3,137 new cases and 11 deaths, taking the cumulative caseload to 7,52,986 and death toll to 19,932. Nashik division’s case tally till now stood at 3,12,328 and the death toll at 5,357.

Kolhapur division has reported 1,20,859 cases and 4,084 deaths till now, while Aurangabad division’s case tally stood at 88,467 and death count at 2,085. Latur division has reported 90,774 cases until now and 2,557 fatalities.

Akola division has reported 1,14,655 cases while 1,893 people have succumbed to the disease until now. Nagpur division has reported 2,48,912 infections and 4,893 fatalities so far.

With 97,274 tests carried out on Thursday, the state has so far tested 1,73,10,586 samples for coronavirus. There are 5,42,693 people in home quarantine while 4,884 are in institutional quarantine.

Out of 56 deaths reported on Friday, 32 occurred in the last 48 hours, eight in the last week and 16 deaths were from the period before the last week. Maharashtra’s COVID-19 figures are as follows: Positive cases: 22,82,191, new cases: 15,817, death toll: 52,723, discharged: 21,17,744, active cases: 1,10,485, people tested so far: 1,73,10,586.

Meanwhile, BMC has said that as many as 90 per cent patients in Mumbai, who tested positive for COVID-19 in January and February this year, were residents of high-rise buildings, while the remaining 10 per cent were from slums and chawls.However, the situation has changed to some extent this month as the number of cases from slums are also going up, civic officials said.

The number of coronavirus containment zones and sealed buildings in Mumbai increased by 170 per cent and 66.42 per cent, respectively, from the beginning of this month, the civic body said. According to the BMC’s COVID-19 dashboard, while the city had 10 containment zones and 137 sealed buildings on March 1, the number of containment zones increased to 27 and sealed buildings to 228 on March 10.

The dashboard pointed out that of the 7.46 lakh people living in these zones, over 23 per cent were from slums and chawls, while the remaining 77 per cent were from sealed buildings. An assistant municipal commissioner said the number of COVID-19 cases from slums has certainly gone up, but it cannot be called a spike.

Also the patients are scattered across slums and not concentrated in any particular pocket of the slums. Mumbai’s coronavirus tally till Thursday night was 3,38,631, while the death toll was 11,515.

first published:March 12, 2021, 20:10 IST