Not Getting Much Help From Centre to Tackle Coronavirus Crisis: Mamata Banerjee
The West Bengal chief minister said her government is procuring necessary things by roping in self-help groups from the state.
File photo of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday claimed that her government was not getting the necessary assistance from the Centre for combating COVID-19 in the state and was dependent on its own resources to tackle the crisis.
Banerjee, who was attending a meeting of hospital representatives at the state secretariat, said the state was making all efforts to two lakh masks and 30,000 gloves.
Dispelling reports that shops and markets would down their shutters as a preventive measure against the pandemic, the TMC boss also said those spreading rumours would be tracked and taken to task.
"We are not getting enough help from the Centre. We are procuring necessary things by roping in self-help groups..." Banerjee stated.
She also said orders have been placed for 10,000 thermal scanners, which can check temperature of Covid-19 suspects and 300 ventilation machines.
Banerjee said her government will provide Rs 5 lakh insurance each to the 10 lakh government medical staff across the state till April 15.
"Please note shops, markets and departmental stores will remain open. If these places down shutters, how will people buy essentials? I will not allow the hoarding of essential commodities and escalation of prices. We will take strong action against those who spread rumours," the CM added.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- PM Modi Seeks Apology for 'Harsh' Coronavirus Lockdown on Mann Ki Baat, Leaves Twitter Impressed
- Kanika Kapoor Tests Coronavirus Positive for Fourth Time, Leaves Family Concerned
- Harassed and Beaten, Animal Lovers Desperately Try to Ensure Pets and Strays Survive the Lockdown
- ICYMI Tech Wrap of The Week: Free Apple Apps, Botched Windows Update, Abbot’s COVID Test And More
- Everyone is Streaming More Than Ever, But it is Not Breaking The Internet: Why The Panic?