Modi Ministers Visiting Northeast Must Spend At Least One Night There
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reportedly asked his ministers visiting northeastern states to spend at least one night there to send out a message that the insurgency-hit region is safe for all.
Tourism and Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma said linking tourism and development in the Northeast and making it a tourist destination for people from all over the world is the 'Prime Minister's dream'.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reportedly asked his ministers visiting northeastern states to spend at least one night there to send out a message that the insurgency-hit region is safe for all.
The directive comes two years after the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) planned fortnightly visits of Union ministers to the region, PTI reported.
"To ensure that, he has asked all the Union ministers to not only take trips to the Northeast states, but also to stay the night there," he said.
As a result of this move, Sharma visited Assam in the first week of April to be part of the Namami Brahmaputra Festival, which is the biggest river festival in Guwahati.
Sharma will follow this up with a visit to Manipur on Saturday to attend the Siroy Lily Festival which began on May 16. Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh also visited the region in the second week of this month to participate in a tourism event.
BJP president Amit Shah too had recently made a trip to Tripura.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- The Tippling Point | Jagermeister, the Hunters' Poison Has Many a Myth Attached to it
- Ali Zafar Sexual Harassment Case: Momina Mustehsan Urges the Singer to Apologise
- The Trio of Sara Ali Khan, Amrita Singh, Dimple Kapadia Looks Glamorous In This Photo
- Photos From Milind Soman, Ankita Konwar's Mehendi Ceremony Will Make You Want To Attend One
- Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X Detailed Image Gallery – See Pics