Operation Clean Money: I-T Dept to Issue Notices to Non-respondents
Keeping up the heat, the income tax department will issue statutory notices to all those who have failed to respond to its SMS and e-mail queries seeking explanation on bank deposits made after demonetisation.
File photo of people standing in long queues to deposit or withdraw cash at a bank. (PTI photo)
New Delhi: Keeping up the heat, the income tax department will issue statutory notices to all those who have failed to respond to its SMS and e-mail queries seeking explanation on bank deposits made after demonetisation.
Notice under Section 133(6) of the Income Tax Act will be issued to any 'person under verification' who has failed to file online response in a timely manner in spite of the reminder, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) said in an
instruction on Friday.
CBDT, however, said the notice can be issued only after taking permission of no less an officer than a commissioner or directorate of income tax.
Under Operation of Clean Money, 18 lakh SMS and e-mails have been issued to people who have made suspicious deposits of over Rs 5 lakh during the 50-day demonetisation period ended December 30.
Over 9 lakh responses have come in the I-T department's e-filing portal and the department will issue the notices to the rest.
The suspicious deposits were referred to as 'person under verification' who were asked to file the explanation about the source of the cash.
Valid explanations were considered 'Accepted' and further verification closed.
The notice under Section 133(6) gives the department wide powers of investigation, including the one to seek information about an assessee even from outsiders that include banks.
Recommended For You
- Will Parineeti Chopra Steal Nick Jonas' Shoes on His Wedding With Priyanka Chopra? Her Response
- Bharat: Did Katrina Kaif Just Share Her First Look from Salman Khan Starrer? See It Here
- Asian Games: Extra Toes Make Footwear a Concern for Indian Heptathlete Swapna Barman
- How the Western Media Dissected the News of Desi Girl Priyanka and Disney Boy Nick's Engagement
- In Numbers: Kohli Constructs More Milestones on Way to Trent Bridge Ton