Pakistan's Independence Day Dedicated to Kashmir's Freedom: Abdul Basit
Pakistan envoy Abdul Basit triggered a fresh controversy for his remark over “Kashmir’s freedom” on Sunday.
New Delhi: Pakistan envoy Abdul Basit on Sunday said his country's Independence Day this year is dedicated to Kashmir and vowed to continue the "fight" till the Valley "attains freedom".
"We dedicate this year's Independence Day to the struggle of Jammu and Kashmir. Our struggle will continue till J&K gets freedom," Basit said during celebrations to mark Pakistan's Independence Day in Delhi.
"The sacrifice of people in Jammu and Kashmir will not go in vain and the struggle in Kashmir will continue till the people get freedom," he added.
Basit's statement came less than a week after he was summoned by External Affairs ministry over Pakistan's continued support to cross-border terrorism in Kashmir, which has fuelled unrest in the Valley.
Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif too had made provocative statements on the Kashmir situation in the wake of Burhan Wani's killing on July 8.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- On Aarav's Birthday, Akshay Kumar Says He is Glad to Be on His Son's Speed Dial
- Salman Khan Turns Chef, Makes 'Khichdi' and 'Raita' in New Bigg Boss 13 Promo
- Russian Goalkeeper Saveli Kononov Gets AK-47 for his Man of the Match Performance
- Delhi Airport Facial Recognition Trial Calls for Establishment of Cybersecurity Laws
- Apple TV Plus Shows, Prices Compared with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hotstar, Zee5