Parliament Panel Led by Shashi Tharoor Meets to Examine WhatsApp Snooping Issue
The panel will be briefed by representatives of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Ministry of Home Affairs and Department of Atomic Energy on the subject — 'Citizens' data security and privacy'.
File photo of Congress leader Shashi Tharoor. (PTI Photo)
New Delhi: A parliamentary standing committee, headed by Senior Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, met here on Wednesday to examine the WhatsApp snooping issue.
As per the notice issued by the Lok Sabha secretariat for the meeting, the panel will be briefed by representatives of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Ministry of Home Affairs and Department of Atomic Energy on the subject — "Citizens' data security and privacy".
Tharoor, who heads the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Information Technology, had written a letter to the other panel members, saying the alleged use of technology for snooping on Indian citizens was a matter of "grave concern" and it would be discussed at the next meeting of the committee on November 20.
Earlier, Facebook-owned WhatsApp said Indian journalists and human rights activists were among those globally spied upon by unidentified entities, using an Israeli spyware — Pegasus.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Peeling Back the Days: The Year of the Onion – An Autobiography
- Bigg Boss 13: Vishal Aditya Singh, Shehnaaz Gill to Play Characters from Devdas
- Anurag Kashyap on Citizenship Amendment Bill: We have Voted for it, We Should Keep Getting it
- #DogsAtPollingStations: Here's Why UK Voters Turned Up with Pets for Brexit Ballot
- You Can Now Buy a Baby Yoda Toy for Rs 21,000, But Here's the Catch