- Municipal Corporations 9/10
- TRS 8
- INC 0
- BJP 1
- AIMIM 0
- OTH 0
- MUNICIPALITIES 114/120
- TRS 96
- INC 9
- BJP 3
- AIMIM 2
- OTH 4
Parliament Passes Bill to Extend SC/ST Reservation in Legislatures by Another 10 Years
The debate witnessed a heated exchange between Prasad and Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad, after which Congress members staged a walkout.
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Thursday passed a Constitution amendment bill to extend reservation to SCs and STs in Lok Sabha and state assemblies by another 10 years. Lok Sabha had passed the bill on December 10.
Reservation for members of Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs), given for the past 70 years in Lok Sabha and state assemblies, is due to end on January 25, 2020. The bill, which saw a heated exchange between the treasury and opposition benches, was approved unanimously in Rajya Sabha.
Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, while replying to a debate on the bill, assured the House that the Modi government would not end reservation and not do anything which is against the spirit of the Constitution.
The debate witnessed a heated exchange between Prasad and Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad, after which Congress members staged a walkout. Congress members later returned to the House for the voting process.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- India vs New Zealand 2nd T20I Live Streaming: When & Where to Watch Live Telecast on TV & Online
- PUBG Mobile: Season 12 Leaks Confirm 2nd Anniversary Royale Pass Theme
- WhatsApp Beta New Update Tests Animated Stickers, Self Destructing Messages
- Parineeti Chopra Relaxes on Her Maldives Holiday, See Pics
- I Feel Sick: Roger Federer's Thrilling 5-set Australian Open Win Leaves Everyone Breathless