Passer-by Killed as Assailants Fired at Chasing Police Constable in Northeast Delhi
The constable saw suspicious persons sitting in the car and inquired them. However, they started driving off and during the chase, a man from the car opened fire at the constable but a passer-by was hit by the bullet.
New Delhi: A 50-year-old man was killed when unidentified car-borne assailants opened fire on a police constable in northeast Delhi's Nand Nagri area, police said on Tuesday.
The incident happened on Monday and the deceased has been identified as Raju, a resident of Harsh Vihar, they said.
"Our constable Ajay, posted in Nand Nagri police station, was passing through Tanga stand, Nand Nagri, at 11:39 pm on Monday when he saw some suspicious persons sitting in a Swift Desire car," said Atul Kumar Thakur, Deputy commissioner of police (North East).
On being inquired by the constable, the suspected persons started running away.
"During the chase, a man from the car opened fired at the constable but the bullet hit one passer-by and they managed to flee away. The victim was rushed to GTB Hospital where he was declared bought dead," said Thakur.
Police have registered a case under section 302 (punishment for murder) of IPC and teams have been formed to nab the accused, he added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ragnarok Director Taika Waititi Finally Reveals Who's the Real Star of Thor Love and Thunder
- Denmark Buys 4 Elephants from Circus to Protect Their Rights and Welfare
- Newton Trends on Twitter After Railway Minister Piyush Goyal Says 'Einstein Discovered Gravity'
- Your Data, Location Might be Tracked with This SIM Card Flaw, Without Your Knowledge
- Mi TV Netflix Support to Finally Roll Out on September 17, Suggests Teaser