PM Modi Inaugurates Chenani-Nashri Link, India's Longest Road Tunnel, in J&K
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India's longest road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway on Sunday amid a shutdown call by Kashmiri separatists.
Srinagar: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Chenani-Nashri tunnel, India's longest road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway on Sunday amid a shutdown call by Kashmiri separatists.
A multi-tier security setup was put in place for the Prime Minister's visit.
The tunnel will save fuel worth nearly Rs 99 crore a year. "Rs 27 lakh worth of fuel is likely to be saved per day," Minister of State in the PMO Jitendra Singh said.
The security setup included elaborate deployments, area domination, checkpoints and alertness in border areas and vigilance at vital installations in the region by various security agencies, a police officer said.
Security drills were carried out by police and other security wings. Three helipads were also sanitised and checked by security teams headed by the SPG.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Avengers 4: Don Cheadle Teases Fans With a Puzzle About Film's Title, Can You Solve it?
- Wishes Pour in From Tendulkar, Sehwag and Yuvraj as Kumble Celebrates 48th Birthday
- Brazil's Miranda Silences Argentina With Last Gasp Winner
- Canada Becomes the Second Country to Legalise Cannabis
- Samsung Galaxy W2019 Listed on TENNA Will Have Two 4.2-Inch Screens, 3,000mAh Battery