PM Modi Inaugurates Chenani-Nashri Link, India's Longest Road Tunnel, in J&K
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India's longest road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway on Sunday amid a shutdown call by Kashmiri separatists.
Srinagar: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Chenani-Nashri tunnel, India's longest road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway on Sunday amid a shutdown call by Kashmiri separatists.
A multi-tier security setup was put in place for the Prime Minister's visit.
The tunnel will save fuel worth nearly Rs 99 crore a year. "Rs 27 lakh worth of fuel is likely to be saved per day," Minister of State in the PMO Jitendra Singh said.
The security setup included elaborate deployments, area domination, checkpoints and alertness in border areas and vigilance at vital installations in the region by various security agencies, a police officer said.
Security drills were carried out by police and other security wings. Three helipads were also sanitised and checked by security teams headed by the SPG.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Amazon Workers to go on Strike in Germany; Demand Better Working Conditions
- Britney Spears Suffers a Major Wardrobe Malfunction During Piece of Me Concert
- Tracking Death By WhatsApp: How Over 30 Lives Have Been Lost So Far
- OnePlus 6 Red Officially Goes on Sale on Amazon, OnePlus Website Today
- Hrithik Bonds With Sons Hrehaan & Hridaan As They Enjoy Adventurous Vacation in Switzerland, See Pics