PM Modi Inaugurates Chenani-Nashri Link, India's Longest Road Tunnel, in J&K
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India's longest road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway on Sunday amid a shutdown call by Kashmiri separatists.
Srinagar: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Chenani-Nashri tunnel, India's longest road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway on Sunday amid a shutdown call by Kashmiri separatists.
A multi-tier security setup was put in place for the Prime Minister's visit.
The tunnel will save fuel worth nearly Rs 99 crore a year. "Rs 27 lakh worth of fuel is likely to be saved per day," Minister of State in the PMO Jitendra Singh said.
The security setup included elaborate deployments, area domination, checkpoints and alertness in border areas and vigilance at vital installations in the region by various security agencies, a police officer said.
Security drills were carried out by police and other security wings. Three helipads were also sanitised and checked by security teams headed by the SPG.
(With PTI inputs)
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- PUBG Teases 'Awesome Patch' And Night Mode For Vikendi Map: Everything You Need to Know
- Video of Sara Ali Khan and Malaika Arora Working Out Together is Breaking the Internet, Watch Here
- Is The Return of The Apple iPhone SE Indicating That a Truly Affordable iPhone May be in The Works?
- Janhvi Kapoor Gets Heavily Trolled for Flaunting Holographic Outfit Copied from International Brand
- Margrethe Vestager, Silicon Valley's Nemesis at EU, to Lay Out Long Term Plan to Scrutinise Tech Companies
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s