Rolling out the world’s biggest vaccination programme on Saturday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the Indian vaccine is cheapest and the best in the world. He said that the fight against coronavirus has been dealt with self-confidence and self-reliance, adding that the country will not let its confidence weaken.
Over 3 lakh healthcare workers will be inoculated on the first day of the much-anticipated drive, which the government said is "probably the beginning of the end of COVID-19". A total of 3,006 session sites across all states and union territories are virtually connected during the launch by PM Modi and around 100 beneficiaries will be vaccinated at each session site.
Here are top quotes from PM Modi's address:
• This disease kept people away from their families. The mothers cried for their children and had to stay away. People could not meet their elderly admitted at hospitals. We could not bid adieu to those with proper rituals who died due to corona.
• Today when we take a look at the last year, we realise that we have learnt a lot as a person, a family and as a nation.
• Our fight with Corona has been self-confidence and self-reliance. To fight this difficult battle, we will not let our confidence weaken, this pledge is shown in every Indian.
• Start of vaccination does not mean people should stop following the Covid protocols of wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. We must take another vow - 'Dawai bhi, Kadaai bhi'
• In the fight against Corona, we've set an example for the world at many steps. When countries left their citizens, stuck in China amidst this pandemic, on their own, India stepped up and evacuated not only Indians but also people of other nations under Vande Bharat mission
• Such a vaccination drive at such a massive scale was never conducted in history. There are over 100 countries having less than 3 crore population and India is administering vaccination to 3 crore people in first phase only. In second phase, we've to take this number to 30 crores.
• India’s vaccination programme is based on humane protocol. Those most vulnerable are getting the vaccination first. Our health care and frontline workers have the first claim to this COVID-19 vaccine.A total of 3,006 session sites across all states and union territories are virtually connected during the launch by PM Modi and around 100 beneficiaries will be vaccinated at each session site.