Police Arrests 14 After Two Lynched in West Bengal Over Suspicion of Cattle Theft
The mob then beat the two men and set the van on fire. The police admitted them to a hospital where they succumbed to their injuries.
Coochbehar (WB): Two persons have been lynched over suspicion of cattle theft in Coochbehar district and 14 persons have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the incident, police said.
It took place on Thursday in Mathabanga area when Rabiul Islam and Prakash Das were ferrying two cows in a van. According to police, a mob stopped the van and recovered the cows, which it claimed were stolen from the area a few days ago and were being taken to cattle smugglers.
The mob then beat the two men and set the van on fire. The police admitted them to a hospital where they succumbed to their injuries. The West Bengal Assembly had recently passed the West Bengal (Prevention of Lynching) Bill, 2019, which is waiting for the governor's assent.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Salman Khan to Quit Bigg Boss 13 Owing to Health Conditions, Farah Khan May Take Over
- Google 2019 Trends: Kabir Singh to Avengers Endgame, Top 10 Movies of the Year
- Avengers Endgame to Game of Thrones to Billy Porter, Here are Most Googled Searches in Entertainment
- Fact Check: Woman Winning Award in Viral Video is Not Hyderabad Rape Victim
- Google Top Trends 2019: Cricket World Cup Most Searched News Event in India