Police Gun Down Villupuram History-sheeter Charged With Murder Hiding in Chennai
Police said they were on the lookout for Manikandan for his involvement in at least 28 criminal cases, several of which were murder charges, including that of a party worker.
Chennai: A history-sheeter with as many as eight murder cases against him, including one of a party worker, was gunned down in a police encounter in Villupuram in Tamil Nadu on Tuesday. The deceased has been identified as Manikandan.
Police said they were on the lookout for Manikandan for his involvement in at least 28 criminal cases, several of which were murder charges.
A six-member team of two sub inspectors and four constables tracked down Manikandan to an apartment where the accused had been living for over three weeks with his wife. When they rounded him up to make the arrest, he attacked one of the sub inspectors with a knife.
The other sub inspector opened fire and killed him in self defence.
This is the third incident of a police encounter in which a history-sheeter has been killed in Chennai.
In June, a 24-year-old with a criminal record was killed in a police encounter in the Madhavaram area of the state capital.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- From Slam Poets to 'Eco-Feminists', BBC's 100 Most Influential Women 2019 List Has 7 Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Awestruck by Kalki Koechlin's Six-month Pregnancy
- Hina Khan Slams People for Comparing Her and New 'Komolika' Aamna Sharif as Ekta Kapoor Weighs In
- Bigg Boss 13: Are Sidharth Shukla and Arti Singh Getting Close Again?
- Google Pixel 4 Project Soli Radar is Why The Phone is Not Coming to India