Policeman Killed, 20 Troopers Injured in Srinagar Grenade Attack
A policeman was killed and 11 paramilitary troopers injured in a grenade attack in Srinagar on Sunday evening, police said.
An injured policeman is being taken to hospital after a terrorist attack in Nowhatta area of Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday, April 2, 2017. (CNN-News18 TV grab)
Srinagar: A police constable was killed and 20 other security personnel were injured in a grenade attack in Srinagar on Sunday evening, a police official said.
Terrorists hurled the grenade on a police party next to Ganjbaksh Park in Nowhatta area at around 7.00 pm when they were withdrawing from there after day long law and order duty, he added.
"A police constable identified as Shamim Ahmed was killed in the grenade explosion. Eleven other security personnel including eight policemen and three Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were injured," said the police officer in Srinagar.
"The injured security personnel have been shifted to hospital for treatment. The area has been cordoned off for searches," the officer said.
According to a source, some miscreants had engaged the cops by pelting stones on them in the same area.
The attack came on the day Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the state to inaugurate the Nashri-Chenani tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar highway.
Separatists had called for a shutdown to protest Modi's visit.
- With agency inputs
Recommended For You
- IPL 2018: Rohit Sharma Looks to Re-write Records Against Rajasthan
- The Tippling Point | Jagermeister, the Hunters' Poison Has Many a Myth Attached to it
- Kalank: Why Madhuri Dixit Agreed To Do a Film Opposite Sanjay Dutt
- Bollywood Star Jacqueline Fernandez Gifts Make-Up Artist Jeep Compass SUV – Watch Video
- Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X Detailed Image Gallery – See Pics