- Municipal Corporations 2/10
- TRS 2
- INC 0
- BJP 0
- AIMIM 0
- OTH 0
- MUNICIPALITIES 54/120
- TRS 46
- INC 4
- BJP 2
- AIMIM 2
- OTH 0
Potholes Have Killed More People Than Terrorists: Supreme Court Slams Centre
A bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur said the large number of deaths caused due to potholes was 'unacceptable' and was 'probably more than those killed on border'.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday expressed concern over 14,926 people being killed in accidents due to potholes on roads across the country in the last five years.
A bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur said the large number of deaths caused due to potholes was "unacceptable" and was "probably more than those killed on border or by the terrorists."
The bench, also comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and Hemant Gupta, said the number of deaths from 2013 to 2017 in accidents due to potholes indicated that the authorities concerned were not maintaining the roads.
The bench sought a response from the Centre on the report filed by the Supreme Court Committee on Road Safety, headed by former apex court judge Justice K S Radhakrishnan.
The bench has posted the matter for further hearing in January.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Street Dancer 3D Movie Review: Varun Dhawan-Shraddha Kapoor Film Fails To Get us Grooving
- Trump Trolled for Sharing 'Ridiculous' Meme with Photoshopped Image of Obama Spying on Him
- Kia Carnival First Drive Review: The Premium MPV India Deserved for Long
- PUBG Mobile: Season 12 Leaks Confirm 2nd Anniversary Royale Pass Theme
- Coronavirus Death Toll Spikes: This Realtime Map Tracks Spread of Virus Around The World