Protesters Detained at Turkman Gate in Delhi as Anti-CAA Stir Continues
The shopkeepers in the area closed their establishments and came out to form a human chain. The protesters said they will again come out on road in the evening.
New Delhi: Some demonstrators were detained while protesting against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act and National Register of Citizens in Central Delhi's Turkman Gate on Thursday. The protest started from Wednesday night.
Sara Javed Chawla, one of the protestors, said police detained some of the demonstrators on Thursday morning.
"I was in Khureji last night when I got to know about the protest at Turkman Gate. Several women were protesting here and I rushed to join them," Chawla said.
The shopkeepers in the area closed their establishments and came out to form a human chain.
The protesters said they will again come out on road in the evening.
"The shopkeepers in the area closed their shops and formed a human chain. We will come out on road in the evening and will raise slogans against the CAA and NRC," she said.
Despite several attempts, senior Delhi police officials could not be contacted.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Saif Ali Khan Trolled for Saying 'Don’t Think There Was a Concept of India Till the British Gave it One'
- PUBG Addiction: 25-Year-Old Suffers Brain Stroke While Playing Game, Dies
- This Mumbai Marathon Runner Unfurled the India Flag with a Special Message On It
- Transfer News and Rumours LIVE: Latest Updates From Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona
- People Are Eating Cereal From Other People's Mouths In This Gross Yet Viral TikTok Challenge