Pune-based National-level Swimmer Hangs Self
The deceased was pursuing MBBS from a Pune-based college.
Pune: A national-level swimmer from Pune in Maharashtra, Sahil Joshi, allegedly committed suicide at his residence in Kothrud area, police said on Saturday.
According to police, Joshi, 21, hanged himself from the ceiling in his house on Friday afternoon when his parents were away.
No suicide note was found at the spot, said an officer attached to Kothrud police station.
Police suspected a personal reason behind the extreme step.
The deceased was pursuing MBBS from a city-based college.
The incident came to light when Joshi's father tried to contact his son from office, but his calls went unanswered, he said.
Suspecting something amiss, Joshi's father rushed home, where he found his son hanging in one of the rooms, the officer said.
"The reason behind Joshi taking the extreme step is investigated. We have registered a case of accidental death," he added.
Meanwhile, Joshi's coach Manoj Erande said the deceased had participated in at least nine championships and won seven gold medals at the national level.
"He was very talented swimmer. Backstroke swimming was his forte. We are in utter shock over the incident," said Erande.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Pro Kabaddi 2019 Final HIGHLIGHTS, Dabang Delhi vs Bengal Warriors in Ahmedabad: Bengal Beat Delhi to Win Maiden Title
- Milind Soman and Ankita Konwar Share Vacation Pictures from Iceland
- Cardi B Once Drugged, Robbed Late Rapper Chinx Drugz
- Kajol Recreates Iconic Simran Pose as 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' Completes 24 Years
- Sorry Pixel 4 But iPhone Users Can Get Free Unlimited Storage on Google Photos