Punished Over 'Lethargic Attitude', Rifleman Kills Army Officer in Chennai, Turns Gun on Himself
It is suspected that the rifleman was emotionally worked up after he was punished by the Havildar for his 'lethargic attitude'.
Representative image. (Reuters)
Chennai: An army officer was shot dead on Tuesday at Pallavaram barrack here by a rifleman, who later killed himself for allegedly being punished for "lethargic attitude in duty", police said.
A senior official said the incident took place at around 3 am on Tuesday.
The rifleman committed suicide by shooting himself, he said.
"We suspect that the rifleman was emotionally worked up after the Havildar punished him for his lethargic attitude in duty," the officer told PTI.
Defence sources said the matter was under investigation.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Aamir Khan's Daughter Ira Khan Shares Saturday Night Expectation vs Reality Post
- Happy Daughter’s Day 2019: Meet the Famous Father-Daughter Duo of Bollywood
- Watch: Zoo Shares First Glimpse of Kiki, a Baby Red Panda
- OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7 Get OxygenOS 10 Based on Android 10 Update
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes