Punjab 1st State to Impose Curfew amid Lockdown as Residents Continue to Step Out in Groups
Chief Minister Amarinder Singh announced the curfew as people were defying the lockdown imposed in the state.
Image for representation.
Chandigarh: The Punjab government on Monday imposed a curfew to stop the spread of coronavirus, making it the first state to take the drastic measure.
Chief Minister Amarinder Singh announced the curfew as people were defying the lockdown imposed in the state, officials said.
After reviewing the situation with the Chief Secretary and the DGP, the CM has announced a full curfew with no relaxations, an official spokesperson said.
Curfew was imposed as people were still coming out in large numbers. So the idea is to keep them inside, a senior official told PTI.
The deputy commissioners have been asked to issue the necessary orders, the spokesperson said.
Anybody seeking relaxations to the restrictions will get them for a given period and purpose, the spokesperson added.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Twitterati’s Counter to Chris Hemsworth's Extraction Trailer Will Leave You In Splits
- These 11 Memes Prove Why Masakali 2.0 Won't be Internet's Favourite WFH Anthem
- 'Gaming Disorder': This is How Avid Gamers will Look Like in Next 20 Years and It's Terrifying
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Review: This is The Android Superphone You Were Waiting For
- Vicky Kaushal, Ananya Panday, Parineeti Chopra Awestruck by Super Pink Moon