Punjab Govt to Give 1,38,000 Bicycles to Girls Studying in Classes 11, 12
The scheme under the Women and Child Development Department will cost nearly Rs 40 crore to the state exchequer, said Education Minister Om Parkash Soni.
Image for representation. (Photo: Reuters)
Amritsar: The Punjab government will give 1,38,000 bicycles to girls studying in Classes 11 and 12 in government schools in various parts of the state to boost girls' education, a state minister said Friday.
The scheme under the Women and Child Development Department will cost nearly Rs 40 crore to the state exchequer, Education Minister Om Parkash Soni told reporters here.
He said 11,085 bicycles will to be given to girls in Amritsar district alone.
To begin with, as many as 940 girls of a government school here were given the bicycles, Soni added.
"The aim of providing bicycles free of cost to girls is to encourage them to continue their education even after school," the minister said.
He also said the government was working to provide better teaching facilities for students in government schools.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Dia Mirza on Doing Thappad: My Trust in Anubhav Sinha Has Grown After Mulk, Article 15
- Indian Idol 11 Winner Sunny Hindustani Says He Borrowed Money for Audition
- Disha Patani Shares Her Sizzling First Look from Baaghi 3 Song Do You Love Me, Watch Teaser
- Kamal Haasan Should Apologise to Tamil Star Rekha For 'Unplanned Kiss' in Film, Say Netizens
- 62-Year-Old Sets World Record by Holding Plank for More than 8 Hours, Twitter in Awe