Rajya Sabha Dy Chairman Kurien Ticks off Jaya Bachchan
Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien on Monday ticked off Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan for trying to question the decision of the Chair.
A file image of Samajwadi Party leader Jaya Bachchan entering the Parliament House . (Photo: PTI)
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien on Monday ticked off Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan for trying to question the decision of the Chair.
The incident happened during zero hour after Ali Anwar Ansari (JD-U) raised the issue of restrictions on eating non-vegetarian food and curbs imposed on women students of Banaras Hindu University (BHU) on using mobile phone and internet after 9 pm.
Congress member Viplove Thakur also wanted to speak on the issue but the Chair did not allow.
At this point, Bachchan got up seemingly questioning the decision of the chair not to allow a woman member to speak on an issue concerning women.
Kurien first told her that she was not chairing the House and then went on to say that she can give suggestions but cannot question the chair.
"This is not the first time you are doing like this...don't question the Chair. You can give suggestion but not question the Chair," he said, adding Bachchan was an "honourable lady" and should behave accordingly.
After the reprimand, she sat down and the House proceeded to conduct its listed business.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 6 Review: The Amitabh Bachchan of Flagship Smartphones
- Things Meghan Markle Can't Do After Marrying Prince Harry
- BCCI vs CoA: Battle Heats Up as Officials Accuse Committee of Obstructing Lodha Reforms
- Mowgli Trailer Gives a Glimpse of Darker, More Dangerous Version of The Jungle Book
- Samsung Galaxy J6 First Impressions Review: Samsung's Premium Features in a Budget