Ramjas Calls off Seminar as ABVP Protests Umar Khalid's Presence
Ramjas College on Tuesday called off a seminar being held on campus after members from the students’ union DUSU and ABVP protested the participation of JNU students Umar Khalid and Shehla Rashid.
A file image of JNU student Umar Khalid, who was implicated in a sedition case. He was not allowed to participate in a seminar at Ramjas college on Feb 21, 2017, due to protests by ABVP and DUSU.
Delhi: Ramjas College on Tuesday called off a seminar being held on campus after members from the students’ union DUSU and ABVP protested the participation of JNU students Umar Khalid and Shehla Rashid.
Khalid was scheduled to speak in the afternoon on ‘The War in Adivasi Areas’ at an event titled ‘Cultures of Protest’ that was organised by the Literary Society of Ramjas College.
However, even before he could arrive, members of the DUSU and ABVP reached the campus and began protesting, disrupting the proceedings. They even met the Principal, Rajendra Prasad, and objected to Khalid’s participation.
Last year, Khalid was booked for sedition by the Delhi Police for allegedly raising anti-India slogans during an Afzal Guru event at the JNU campus.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- BSNL Rs 777 Broadband Plan Gets You 50 Mbps Speed And 500GB Data
- Sara Ali Khan Gets Papped Outside Rumoured Boyfriend Kartik Aaryan's House
- Mark The Calendar, Here is When Your iPhone, Watch, iPad and MacBook Get Updated
- A Pakistani Pop-Singer is Facing Legal Action for Threatening PM Modi with Snakes
- 'Caught in the Moment': Virat Kohli Credits Contemplative Pic to Wife Anushka Sharma