Reject Mercy Plea of Nirbhaya Case Convict, Delhi L-G's Recommendation to Home Ministry
The file will be examined by the home ministry and then it will be forwarded to President Ram Nath Kovind for consideration and final decision.
New Delhi: The Home Ministry has received the recommendation of the Delhi government rejecting the mercy plea of one of the convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang rape case, officials said on Wednesday.
The file rejecting the mercy plea was sent by Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal to the home ministry. The file will be examined by the home ministry and then it will be forwarded to President Ram Nath Kovind for consideration and final decision.
Vinay Sharma, one of the convicts facing the gallows for the gang rape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedic student, had filed the mercy petition before the President. Nirbhaya was gang-raped on December 16, 2012. She later succumbed to her injuries. The brutality of the rape had rocked the nation leading to massive protests.
The Delhi government's rejection of the mercy plea comes at a time when there is nationwide outrage over the gang rape and murder of a 25-year-old veterinarian in Hyderabad.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Sania Mirza's Sister Anam Feels Grateful, Shares Snaps of Her Bridal Shower on Social Media
- Neena Gupta Gives 'Frock ka Shock' in Mini Dress, Netizens Impressed
- I-League 2019-20: Mohun Bagan Condemned to Defeat at Home by Clinical Churchill Brothers
- Star Rated: NASA To Start a 'Robot Hotel' Outside the International Space Station
- 'Wish Indians Were Baggage!': Twitter Hails 'Polite' Luggage That Wait for Others to Pass