New Delhi: Celebrating the 407th birthday of the Dutch painter and etcher Rembrandt van Rijn, Google posted a doodle on its homepage featuring the painter in the logo. The Google logo appears as an etching on the background.
But apart from the fact that Rembrandt was a great painter, there are many interesting facts to know about this artist. We have compiled a list of the top 10 interesting facts about Rembrandt van Rijn.
1. At the beginning of his artistic career Rembrandt mainly painted portraits and a tenth of them were self portraits, but biblical themes formed the core of Rembrandt's oeuvre.
2. Rembrandt didn't come from a family of artists or craftsman, as many of his contemporaries. His father was a miller and his mother came from a family of bakers.
3. Though he was a successful portrait painter in his early days, but Rembrandt's later years were marked by financial hardships.
4. The Night Watch, which is one of the most famous paintings in the world, was painted by Rembrandt van Rijn between 1640 and 1642. The Night Watch is his most celebrated work.
5. Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum drew thousands of visitors eager to see Rembrandt van Rijn's "The Night Watch" and other Dutch treasures after Queen Beatrix reopened the national museum in April this year following its decade-long renovation.
6. It is believed that Rembrandt's eyes failed to align correctly, and he suffered from stereo blindness. It was concluded after studying 36 of Rembrandt's self-portraits.
7. Because of Rembrandt van Rijn's empathy for the human condition, he has been called "one of the great prophets of civilization."
8. In the late 1640s, Rembrandt started a relationship with the much younger lady, who had initially been his maid.
9. His most famous works include: Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp (1632), Belshazzar's Feast (1635), Night Watch (1642), Bathsheba at Her Bath (1654) and Syndics of the Drapers' Guild (1662).
10. Rembrandt died at the age of 63 on October 4, 1669 in Amsterdam.