Right-wing Students Attack PhD Scholar for Organising Beef Fest on IIT Campus
A PhD scholar was brutally thrashed on Tuesday by some right-wing students after he organised a beef Fest on the campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras.
Sooraj R, a PhD Scholar, Department of Aerospace, was allegedly beaten up by some right-wing students. (CNN-News18 Photo)
Madras: A PhD scholar was brutally thrashed on Tuesday by some right-wing students after he organised a beef fest on the campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras. Sooraj R, a PhD Scholar, Department of Aerospace, was allegedly beaten up by some right-wing students.
The attacked student, whose eye looks severely bruised in the photograph, has been taken to Sankara Nethralaya, Nungambakkam. "Sooraj was beaten up badly just for organising this fest," said, Sooraj's friend Nidheesh, adding that the accused were also the students of the IIT.
Calling the entire scenario "scary", Nidheesh said: "A police complaint has been filed."
Another friend told CNN-News18 that Sooraj was hit repeatedly in the eye, and the back of his head, by a group of 7-8 people. "They surrounded him and a person named Manish Singh attacked Sooraj," he said.
A group of students in IIT Madras organised a beef festival on Sunday night to protest against the Centre’s ban on the sale of cattle for the purpose of slaughter. Sources said around 50 students took part in the protest.
Recommended For You
- Watch Opening Salvo | Aakash Chopra Previews IPL 2018, Match 24: RCB vs CSK
- After Avengers Infinity War, Marvel Considering An 'Eternals' Film
- Olympic Gold Remains Ultimate Dream, Says Bajrang Punia After Dominant Show in Gold Coast
- Deepika Padukone Looks Gorgeous in a Anamika Khanna Ensemble at the Time 100 Red Carpet; See Pics
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 To Go On Sale For 24-Hours on Mi.com on April 25, Sale Starts 12AM Tonight