Rs 14.75 Lakh in New Currency Notes Seized From Pune Hotel
The police on Thursday seized Rs 14.75 lakh, all in new currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 2,000, from five people at a hotel in the upmarket Koregaon Park area of the city.
Crime branch police displays seized currency in new notes. (Image: PTI)
Pune: The police on Thursday seized Rs 14.75 lakh, all in new currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 2,000, from five people at a hotel in the upmarket Koregaon Park area of the city.
"These five people were found at a hotel with Rs 14.75 lakh in their possession. On questioning they gave vague answers," said a police officer.
Police suspected that they were about to exchange the cash with defunct notes, he said.
Income Tax department had been notified about the seizure, the officer added.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Miss England 2019 Hangs up Her Crown, Returns to Work as Doctor Amid Covid-19 Pandemic
- Heroes' Welcome to COVID-19 Doctors, Linen Masks: How a Luxury Hotel Chain is Fighting a Pandemic
- WhatsApp’s Biggest Move Yet in The War Against Fake News: Message Forwards Limited to One
- Xerox is Making Disposable Ventilators And They do Not Require Power to Work
- Facebook and Carnegie Mellon Have a New COVID-19 Survey Called Data For Good