Rs 14 Lakh in Old and New Denominations Seized in Nashik
Police seized more than Rs 14 lakh unaccounted cash in high denominations of defunct and new notes from two separate cars on Nashik-Aurangabad road and detained drivers of both the vehicles.
Nashik: Police seized more than Rs 14 lakh unaccounted cash in high denominations of defunct and new notes from two separate cars on Nashik-Aurangabad road and detained drivers of both the vehicles.
According to Ranjit Dere, in-charge of Niphad Police Station, the cash (Rs 14,65,760) was seized during a routine checking of vehicles on Friday.
Police intercepted one car in which they found 462 new currency notes of Rs 2000 hidden under the seats which amounted to Rs 9.24 lakh. Since driver Ejaj Jalil Khan (28), a resident of Aurangabad could not give a proper explanation about the cash, he was detained, the official said.
While in another car police found 20 bundles of notes in denominations of scrapped Rs 1000 and Rs 500 totalling Rs 5.5 lakh. The driver of the car Abdul Majid Kazi (36) from Andheri was detained with the amount, Dere added.
The case has been handed over to the Income Tax department.
Earlier Rs 73 lakh in cash was impounded in two cars on Nashik-Aurangabad road after government had banned high currency notes.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Ahan Shetty Plans the Cutest Surprise for Girlfriend Tania Shroff on Her Birthday
- Deepika Padukone Defends Sharing Workout Videos Amid Pandemic, Says 'It Keeps Ranveer & Me Going'
- Lionel Messi Announces FC Barcelona Players Taking 70 Per Cent Cut on Salaries Amid Coronavirus
- I Have Been Making 'Dalgona Coffee' Since Childhood: Note from Not-a-Millennial to Instagram Influencers
- OnePlus 8: Fresh Renders Reveal New ‘Interstellar Glow’ Colour Variant