Rs 15 Lakh Given to Jat Protesters Injured During 2016 Stir
Rohtak administration on Monday distributed cheques amounting to Rs 15 lakh among 22 people who were injured during the Jat quota stir in Haryana.
Jat reservation body president Malik said that their rally will now be held on February 18, which they will observe as ‘Balidan Divas’ (File image: Reuters)
Rohtak: The district administration on Monday distributed cheques amounting to Rs 15 lakh among 22 "innocent people" who were injured during the last year's Jat quota stir in Haryana.
An official spokesman said cheques of Rs 1 lakh each were given to eight persons while Rs 50,000 each were given to 14 people.
Thirty people were killed and several injured while property worth crores was damaged at many places in the state during the last year's Jat stir.
Rohtak and some of its neighbouring districts, including Sonipat and Jhajjar, were the worst hit by the violent protests.
Besides seeking quota in education and government jobs under the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) category, the demands of the Jats include release of those jailed during last year's agitation, withdrawal of cases slapped during the protest and government jobs for the kin of those killed and injured while taking part in the stir.
Earlier this month, the community members launched fresh round of protests in the state in support of their demands.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Rides Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 to Promote State Tourism
- Shah Rukh Khan to Announce Two Films on His 54th Birthday?
- 'Down to Earth': Justin Bieber Fell Off a Unicycle and Internet Had a Great Laugh
- 'Respect Culture': Woman Arrested for Wearing Bikini That Was Too 'Revealing'
- Google Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL to Launch Today: Here’s How to Watch the Live Stream