Sabarimala Temple to Open for Annual 10-day Festival Today
The temple will also get a new gold-plated door for the sanctum sanctorum.
File photo of Sabarimala.
Thiruvananthapuram: The Sabarimala temple will open for the annual festival for 10 days, starting March 11. A release issued by the Travancore Devaswom Board
(TDB), which administers the shrine, said that head priest Kandararu Rajeevaru would preside over the temple opening ceremony. The festival will end on March 21.
The temple will also get a new gold-plated door for the sanctum sanctorum when the hill shrine opens for the festival. The existing door, which developed tiny cracks, would be replaced with the new one. The holy door, made of quality teak wood, has been plated with at least four kilograms of gold after engraving and embossing it with copper.
A group of Sabarimala devotees, led by one Unni Namboothiri, met the expenses of the new door as an offering to the presiding deity, TDB president A Padmakumar had said. "The new door is designed in such a way that the gold platings can be removed if the door suffers any damage in course of time," the TDB chief had said.
The Lord Ayyappa Temple had recently witnessed frenzied protests by devotees opposing the implementation of the landmark September 28 Supreme Court verdict permitting women of all age groups into the temple.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Ahan Shetty Plans the Cutest Surprise for Girlfriend Tania Shroff on Her Birthday
- I Have Been Making 'Dalgona Coffee' Since Childhood: Note from Not-a-Millennial to Instagram Influencers
- TRAI to Telcos: Extend Prepaid Validity So Users Get Uninterrupted Services Amid Virus Lockdown
- OnePlus 8: Fresh Renders Reveal New ‘Interstellar Glow’ Colour Variant
- Indians, WhatsApp is Limiting Status to 15 Seconds Because Videos Are Slowing The Internet