Samir Mohanty Emerges Consensus Candidate for Odisha BJP Chief
Samir Mohanty, the state vice-president of the BJP since 2016, was the only candidate to file nomination for the highest party post in the state.
Bhubaneswar: Senior BJP leader Samir Mohanty is likely to be the next president of the party's Odisha unit, after he emerged as the consensus candidate for the post on Thursday.
Mohanty, the state vice-president of the BJP since 2016, was the only candidate to file nomination for the highest party post in the state.
Mohanty's name was unanimously accepted at a meeting attended by BJP's district unit presidents, MLAs, MPs and council members.
Senior party leaders, including Narendra Singh Tomar, Dharmendra Pradhan and Arun Singh, were also in attendance. Mohanty's name as the Odisha BJP president will be
formally announced after scrutiny of the nomination papers, party sources said.
The post had fallen vacant after completion of Basanta Panda's tenure. Panda was elected to Lok Sabha from Kalahandi in the 2019 general elections.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Stop Romanticising Brad Pitt Watching Jennifer Aniston's SAG Award Speech, Please?
- Noida Woman Loses Wallet on Metro, Hackers Steal Over Rs 1.5 Lakh Without OTP or PIN
- PUBG Addiction: 25-Year-Old Suffers Brain Stroke While Playing Game, Dies
- Airtel Has a New Rs 179 Prepaid Recharge That Bundles Rs 2 Lakh Life Insurance Cover
- Parents Took Their Wi-Fi Modem on Holiday with Them Because Their Kids Wouldn't Go