SC Grants Bail to BJP Activist Arrested for Sharing Mamata Meme, Asks Her to Submit Written Apology
The court, which had earlier granted conditional bail to Sharma, noted that the case was not just about the BJP activist’s fundamental right but also that of the other person.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted bail to BJP activist Priyanka Sharma who shared a morphed photograph of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, asking her to submit a written apology immediately.
The court, which had earlier granted conditional bail to Sharma, noted that the case was not just about the BJP activist’s fundamental right but also that of the other person. The SC also said the case in question was different as Sharma was a member of the BJP.
A BJP Yuva Morcha leader, Sharma allegedly shared on Facebook a photo in which Banerjee's face has been photoshopped on to actor Priyanka Chopra's picture from the MET Gala event in New York.
The incident had sparked outrage on social media, with #ISupportPriyankaSharma trending on Twitter.
Welcoming the decision, Sharma’s mother said she couldn’t express her happiness as the family awaited her return home.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Reliance Jio Diwali Offer: Here's How to Gift a JioPhone This Festive Season For Rs 699
- Rafael Nadal Gets Married to His Partner of 14 Years Xisco Perello
- Woman Wears Clothes Weighing 2.5 Kilo to Avoid Paying Excess Baggage Fee at Airport
- TRAI to Decide on Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Battle For How Long Your Phone Should Ring
- Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg is Defending Free Speech; Yes, You Read That Right