Day after Bihar reported 34 more Covid-19 fatalities and 7,870 new cases in 24 hours, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced a slew of strict curbs placing the state almost under a lockdown.
To contain the rapid spread of Covid-19 which refuses to let up in the state – several parties, including the BJP, Congress, RJD and JD(U) have shut their party offices and are holding meetings online – Kumar imposed several restrictions.
- Night curfew across Bihar from 9 PM to 5 AM.
- All educational institutions to remain closed till May 15
- All movie theatres, shopping, malls, clubs and public parks will be completely shut.
- All government and private offices to remain closed post 5 PM.
- Healthcare workers to get a month’s salary as a bonus for encouragement
- Containment zones to be designated across Bihar wherever numbers are high.
- Quarantine centres to be erected in all districts and major cities and towns for infected people who can’t afford to remain in home isolation.
- Shop selling essential items like groceries, meat, and medical stores to remain open till 6 PM only.
- Restaurants and eateries cannot serve food to people on the premises. Only home delivery has been allowed.
- All religious places will remain shut.
- All public functions banned barring marriages, funerals and other essential gatherings. Number of attendees capped at 100.
- All district administrations have been instructed to impose Section 144 at crowded places.
- Essential services like fire ambulance and e-commerce have been exempted from these restrictions.
Nitish Kumar has also appealed to people from Bihar working in other states to return to their home state to escape the virus.