Security Forces Kill Militant in Ongoing Encounter in J&K’s Pulwama
The militant was identified as Ufaid Farooq Lone who was involved in several militancy-related incidents in the past over one year.
A security force personnel keeps guard alongside a road during restrictions after the government scrapped the special constitutional status for Kashmir, in Srinagar. (Image: Reuters)
Srinagar: A militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday, an official said.
He said the gun battle broke out between militants and security forces on the outskirts of Awantipora town in the morning following a tip-off about the presence of ultras in the area. One militant was killed in the encounter, the official said.
He was identified as Ufaid Farooq Lone. He was active since July 2018, he said. Lone was involved in several militancy-related incidents in the past over one year, the official said.
He had been threatening shopkeepers against the opening of shops following the abrogation of special status to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370, the official said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Android 10 Update Roll-Out Resumes For OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro
- Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo Winning the Nobel Prize Together is #CoupleGoals
- Why Dyson Air Purifiers Are Smarter Than Most: Better Filters And Smarter Testing
- 15-year-old Coco Gauff Beat Jelena Ostapenko to Win First WTA Title at Linz
- Neymar Gets Injured Again, Limps Out of Brazil's Friendly Against Nigeria