Sex Workers Shut Shop in Maharashtra's Bhiwandi Due to Coronavirus Threat
No customer would be allowed to enter the locality during this period. More than 300 sex workers operate in the Hanuman Tekdi area of Bhiwandi, and the centre, which is affiliated to Shramajivi Sanghatana, cares for their children.
Image for representation.
Thane: Even as Mumbai prepares for a complete lockdown in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, daily wagers, including sex workers, seem to be worst affected in the crisis.
Over 300 sex workers in Bhiwandi town of Maharashtra's Thane district decided to keep their trade shut for a couple
of days as a precautionary measure against the deadly virus.
Dr Swati Khan, who runs a centre for children of sex workers, held a meeting with them on Friday, during which it
was decided that sex trade will not be carried out in the area for the next couple of days.
More than 300 sex workers operate in the Hanuman Tekdi area of Bhiwandi, and the centre, which is affiliated to Shramajivi Sanghatana, cares for their children.
No customer would be allowed to enter the locality during this period, Dr Khan said.
Meanwhile, president of the Sanghatna Vivek Pandit said the organisation will provide daily essentials to workers and their families for the next two weeks during the lockdown.
Maharashtra has recorded 63 positive cases of COVID- 19, the highest in the country.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Microsoft 365 is Indicative of a New Direction Where Microsoft is All About Consumers
- Italian Hospitals Are Using Snorkelling Masks to Combat Shortage of Respirators
- Suhana Khan Looks Ultra Glam As She Experiments With Makeup Amid Lockdown; See Pics
- Van Gogh Painting Allegedly Stolen in Midnight Heist from Dutch Museum amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Coronavirus: What Are Ventilators And Why Are They Critical For Some Patients?